What can I substitute for fish sauce in Thai food?

I have alergies, however I love Thai food . Is there anything that is pungent like fishsauce that I can use as a substitute. I am not sure if just leaving it out will give me the flavours I am looking for. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thank you


Soy sauce would not be a good substitute; it would alter the flavor drastically. I cannot think of anything that would give a similar flavor that you would not also be allergic to. You will definitely need to replace the salt missing by not using Nuc Mam (fish sauce). Some spices/sauces that would impart a spicy (but different flavor) are five-spice powder, oyster sauce (if you are not allergic to it), ginger, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and lemon grass. If you can tolerate the heat from the peppers, you might also increase the amount of peppers or pepper sauce you are using. Too bad you are allergic to the Nuc Mam. :o(

Plain old salt dissolved in water. Soy sauce could alter the flavor of your recipe.

Shrimp sauce. More pungent but very tasty.

You would be much more likely to be allergic to shrimp sauce than fish sauce. (Crustaceans like shrimp are far more allergenic than fish.) If you are sure that fish sauce will cause you problems, substitute soy sauce.

maybe salt and apple cider vinegar.

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น